With addition of full MMU support I introduced a bug into Makaron - games that were previously playable with simple SQ remapping would now require slower MMU recompiler. Fixed. This means only games based on Windows CE will require proper address translation, the rest will happily run on faster recompiler. I guess there is no "SEGA multitasking OS" for Dreamcast after all :)
As for MIL-CDs, those don't even use address translation at all. They wouldn't work on normal recompiler because it was too fast. Again, due to the bug mentioned I was led to belive MMU was being used - while it was not. Seems like lowering SH4 speed to about 160 MIPS gets those to run, not yet sure why. Could be another DMA issue, all those use the same software MPEG player and it gave me some troubles before on other games as well.
I've tried to investigate the cause of WinCE games breaking TA geometry registration process - without much luck so far. Also many games complain about VMU not having enough free space on it (but some would still create a good save later). Suddenly it seems like a good idea to quickly release T9/2 to just see how frequently it crashes and if that coincides with emulation speed.
I'm done merging the MMU version with the main source branch, seems to work. I've also tried several things to speed up the address translation - again, not much luck there. The lookup tables I'm using now seem to be the limit of what can be done in that aspect. Gee, I almost wish I could make use of x86 paging unit (and yes, I know how complicated that would be - pretty fast though).
In short: unless I discover something obviously wrong for me to fix, I'm going to release T9/2 later today (or so).
UPDATE: Here's Makaron Test 9/2
with MMU support in recompiler.
If you have any problems with it, go back to T9/1. This version is pretty broken (lots of unfinished modifications) but I want to know how badly :)
Again, too many changes to list. Some bug fixes (to SH4 recompiler as well). PAD plugin now enforces 5% dead zone in analog stick center position - this should cure "cursor keeps running away" problem in some games. New AICA/ARM code (back to interpreter for now) sounds much better, no DSP yet. More messages will now appear in English, in future it will be possible to support many languages (via translation files or something like that).
There's new system of identifying GD-ROMs and MIL-CDs - it's main purpose is to enable MMU where necessary. The database is far from complete though, so some GDs will not be recognized. Please report those, but do make sure to provide proper title, MD5 sum computed by Makaron, region, and whether it is Windows CE game or normal one. DO NOT REPORT PIRATED SOFTWARE. I will ignore/delete such reports on sight. Same goes for dubious ones, with spelling errors and such.
If you happen to stumble upon WinCE game that is not recognized you'll need to enable MMU manualy in the ini file. And let me repeat that again - MMU requires a damn fast CPU. 2,4GHz Core2 Duo is the absolute minimum - the faster the better.
The multi-threaded GD reading is not yet finished. You might want to enable it anyway, see GDROM.ini for that, but be advised that some games will refuse to boot or hang with this option enabled. Most should work.
UPDATE 2: Oops. Last minute changes to GD detection code broke it completly. Sorry :) I've posted revised T9/2 so please redownload.